How to Apply
***Applications for 2022 entry now closed***
ONEPlanet is committed to promoting diversity, and we particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups. Flexible study requests are welcomed, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Find out more about our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion policies here.
Usually applicants are expected to have a first or 2:1 undergraduate degree - exceptions are possible, but these should be strongly motivated. In addition, candidates may also hold or be completing a Masters degree in a relevant subject discipline but this is not a mandatory requirement.
Home and International applicants (inc. EU) are welcome to apply. Following the UKRI announcement in regards to their new 30% UKRI international recruitment policy (that will take effect from September 2021) both Newcastle University, and Northumbria University, have agreed to pay the international fee difference for all International applicants (inc. EU) who are awarded a DTP studentship.
International applicants - English Language requirements
If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English course.
Further information for International Students can be found here.
- Please identify a project that is of interest to you on our Studentship projects page.
- Once you have identified a project you can contact the named supervisor to discuss this project further before you apply. Please find further details on how to apply at the bottom of this page.
- Alternatively, you can outline your own research idea and make contact with a ONEPlanet supervisor to discuss this idea before you apply.
- Please note that you can only apply for 1 project within the DTP.
- If you are applying for a specific ONEPlanet research project, you are still required to write a proposal. For guidance on writing your research proposal please find advice here.
When you are ready to apply:
Please submit an application to either Newcastle or Northumbria University via their Postgraduate applications portals depending on the main supervisor of your chosen project, or your chosen main supervisor if outlining your own research idea. Use applications button below to access the application portals of Newcastle or Northumbria University.
Apply to Newcastle University: Please ‘Create a new account’ on the postgraduate application system. Enter the programme code as 8212F, select ‘PhD ONE Planet' as the programme of study, and the related studentship code eg. OP2201, OP2202 etc. in the studentship code field.
The following documentation is required:
- Your CV
- Application form (Completed via the online application portal of your selected institution)
- Your 1,000-word personal statement (with your chosen project title and reference code e.g. OP2020X). Please explain how your knowledge, skills and experience fit the project outline.
- Your 1,000-word project proposal (with project title and reference code OP2020X). If you are outlining your own research idea please use reference code OP20200
- A minimum of two references. These can be submitted with your application if they are signed, or alternatively, they can be emailed directly by the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that it is your responsibility to request these references and ensure they that are sent to us.
- Attach degree transcripts and certificates.
- If English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualification.
- If you are outlining your own research idea please use reference code: OP20200
If you have any further questions please contact: email@example.com