Marie BoyleRole: PhD Student Email: email@example.com
I joined the Fibrosis Laboratories in August 2016. Prior to joining the lab my background was as a Specialist Registrar in Gastroenterology/Hepatology enrolled with the Royal College of Physicians, Ireland. My work with the Fibrosis Lab aims to study the pathophysiology of one of the major causes of chronic liver disease, non-alcoholic liver disease (NAFLD), which represents a spectrum from steatosis to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and ultimately progressing to fibrosis/cirrhosis and potentially hepatocellular carcinoma in the absence of excess alcohol consumption.
Current evidence suggests that pathogenesis is driven by a combination of genetic and epigenetic factors. Our current work aims to expand studies previously done at the university to compare pre-existing epigenetic signatures in livers of NAFLD patients who develop fibrosis/cirrhosis and those that do not.
- June 2004-June 2010 - MB BCh BAO, National University of Ireland, Galway
- Member ship of The Royal College of Physicians Ireland (MRCPI) 2012
- Diploma in Stroke Medicine (Royal College of Physicians Ireland) 2013
- Graduate Certificate in Palliative Medicine (University College Dublin) 2013
- Fellowship in Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Harvard University, Boston, MA 2015
- School of Medicine and Health Sciences Research Meeting, National University of Ireland, Galway 2009.
- Sylvestor O Halloran Surgical Symposium, Limerick, Ireland. 2009.
- Irish Cardiac Society 2011.
- Irish Nephrology Society and 25th Annual Conference of the European Diabetic Nephropathy Study Group, 2012.
- EuroPCR 2011: Congress of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions, 2011; Paris, France.
- The Annual Scientific Meeting of the Infectious Disease Society of Ireland 2012.
- David Mitchel Award 2012, St. Luke’s Symposium, Royal College Of Physicians, Ireland, 2012.
- Sr Margherita Rock Audit Prize, Catherine McAuley Centre, Mater Misercordiae University Hospital, 2012.
- American Nephrology Society, San Diego. November 2012.
- Faculty of Public Heath Medicine. 2012 Summer Scientific Meeting 2012.
- DAMC Young Investigators Research Symposium. Post Graduate Medical Education. Mater Misercordiae University Hospital. May 2012.
- Irish Society of Gastroenterology Winter Meeting 2013, Killarney, Co. Kerry. November 2013.
- Irish Society of Gastroenterology Summer Meeting 2014, Naas, Co. Kildare. June 2014.
- Irish Society of Gastroenterology Summer Meeting 2014, Dublin. November 2014.
- Irish Society of Gastroenterology, Winter Meeting 2015, Dublin. November 2015.