Cancer Research UK Newcastle Drug Discovery Unit
- The Cancer Research UK Newcastle Drug Discovery Unit is an integrated team of cancer biologists, pharmacologists, structural biologists and medicinal chemists who develop novel, differentiated, small molecule therapies for cancer patients.
- Assembling experience from industry and academia, we specialise in structural and biophysical fragment-based approaches for drug discovery complemented by our strengths in synthetic chemistry.
- We also aim to develop innovative cutting-edge technologies that enable us to better validate targets, assess target ligandability and identify chemical hit matter.
- We work in close partnership with industry and have had a strategic Drug Discovery Alliance with Astex Pharmaceuticals (UK) since 2012.
- Newcastle drug discovery projects have contributed to the discovery of two registered cancer medicines and two other drugs currently under evaluation in clinical trials