Professor Bruce R. Smith to join ATNU on a Leverhulme Visiting Professorship
Professor Bruce R. Smith, Dean’s Professor of English and Theatre at the University of Southern California, a world-leading Shakespearean, and the past President of the Shakespeare Association of America will be joining ATNU and the School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics on a Leverhulme Visiting Professorship for two semesters over the next two years (2020 - 2022).
This is the result of a successful bit led by Professor Jennifer Richards and Professor Bruce R. Smith, in collaboration with the rest of the ATNU team. During his visiting professorship, Professor Smith will:
- Help establish 'Animated Texts' as a field of study;
- Share his unique expertise recovering historical voice from the silent literary archive;
- Support collaboration between researchers at Newcastle and colleagues based at Bath Spa, Birmingham, Liverpool John Moores, Oxford, and York Universities who are already creatively rethinking what it means to animate material book history;
- Co-design PGR training for a new generation of technology and voice/performance-aware textual scholars;
- Work with digital colleagues at Newcastle and York Universities, exploring software for the oral/aural animation of early books/texts.
We look forward to welcoming Professor Smith in Newcastle soon!
Last modified: Tue, 05 May 2020 16:21:16 BST