At Newcastle Locomotive, we strive for perfection in every aspect of our work. From the design and manufacture of engineering components to effective communication between the team and our clients, we aim to provide an end product that is unrivalled in the industry.
In June 2019, Newcastle University will be entering the IMechE Railway Challenge for the first time. Our 2018/19 team consists of six engineering students carrying out their final year of studying for a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. The team represents some of the best and brightest minds that Newcastle University has to offer.
The Railway Challenge is an annual competition run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. It was launched with the intention of helping students across the country to develop their skills in order to become professional engineers as well as inspiring the next generation of students. The challenge is now in its eighth year, although this will be Newcastle's first year of competing. Naturally, our intention is to win every category, whilst making everyone think "Damn, they made that look easy!" The aim of the competition is to:
- Develop and demonstrate technical, engineering design and manufacturing skills
- Obtain practical and rounded railway engineering skills
- Gain real-world engineering experience to kick start our career
- Learn and practice key skills such as team-work and time management alongside project management, budgeting and presentation skills, as well as becoming better equipped for a long-lasting career in engineering
- Network with leading professionals in railway engineering and potential future employers
We will keep you updated with design progressions, testing and partnership announcments. Updates will be posted here, as well as on our Facebook and Instagram pages. Links to these accounts can be found below. If you would like to learn more, please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions!