The vision of the Newcastle Healthcare Technology Lab is to strengthen cross-Faculty research in "biomedical engineering" at Newcastle University towards healthcare applications by:
- Combining research strengths in engineering, imaging, biochemistry, electronics, computation, bioinformation and physical and materials sciences that underpin healthcare.
- Maximising engagement of our research outcomes with the hospital, business, patient and public communities thereby increasing translation to products and practices while considering and recognizing the potential societal impact.
Essential high-level objectives are to:
- Focus on high priority healthcare challenges and the research capabilities
- Create collaborative networks to deliver translational research with impact
- Provide support for environments that promote multidisciplinary research and training
- Stimulate creative and transformational approaches to address unmet clinical needs and deliver better, and different, patient-centred healthcare solutions.