Free downloadable resources
We've worked with teachers to make a learning framework to support Freedom City Comics. All the activities are designed as springboards for your own projects, lessons, and activities. It's completely up to you how to use this learning framework!
Click here to download the full FREE learning framework including printable resources and artists' draft pages (zip file 93MB)
Or, download each chapter of the learning framework from TES resources: https://www.tes.com/resources/search/?authorId=6753649
Learning Framework - Web Preview - (7.56mb PDF) - this file has been optimised for screens. Please use the download links above for good quality printable versions.
This learning framework includes:
- outlines of suggested activities
- suggested links to National Curriculum KS2 and KS3, including 'I Can...' statements
- printable resources including: storyboard templates, writing frames, archive materials, biographical factfiles
- artists' draft pages, to give young comics creators a look behind the scenes of how Freedom City Comics was made.
KS2 curriculum links include: Science, Art, Citizenship, History, Politics, Writing, Literacy, Reading, Maths, Geography, Drama, Careers, PSHE. Key Stage 2 learning framework developed by Mike Thompson and Lydia Wysocki.
KS3 curriculum links include: Media, Art, English, Modern Foreign Languages, History, Drama, PSHE, RE/Ethics, Geography, Maths. Key Stage 3 learning framework developed by Gary Bainbridge and Lydia Wysocki.
For more on the educational theory and approaches underpinning this learning framework, please see our journal article (open access, no paywall)
- Wysocki, L, and Leat, D. 2019. Collaborative comic as Boundary Object: the creation, reading, and uses of Freedom City Comics / Cómic colaborativo como Objeto de Frontera: la creación, lectura y usos de Freedom City Comics. Tebeosfera 3(10). https://www.tebeosfera.com/documentos/collaborative_comic_as_boundary_object_t he_creation_ reading_and_uses_of_freedom_city_comics.html
This learning framework and resources are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC). You can change this framework and share it with other people as long as you credit our project, but you can't use it commercially. All artwork remains the copyright of the original artists.
We'd love to hear how you get on with this learning framework! Contact