The French Media Research Group was founded in Spring 1995 by Dr Hugh Dauncey (Newcastle University), Dr Geoff Hare (Newcastle University, now Honorary Senior Research fellow) and Dr Sheila Perry (then University of Northumbria, now University of Nottingham). The FMRG's activities and the publications of H. Dauncey and G. Hare on media were part of the French submission to RAE2001 (1996-2001), when the Film and Media unit was 'flagged' as being of the highest 5-star quality although the unit itself was not in a department rated as 5-star overall. In December 2008, the FMRG became affiliated - as a 'thematic branch' - to the Association for the Study of Modern & Contemporary France. See http://www.asmcf.org/
The FMRG holds one-day conferences on the French media, usually located in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
OUR NEXT CONFERENCE WILL INVESTIGATE THE TRANSFORMATIVE IMPACT OF Canal Plus ON FRANCE 1984-2017 . Please see tab above FMRG25 Canal Plus.
Since 1996, we have organised 24 day-conferences and collaborated in a number of other workshops/colloquia on French and Francophone media.
Our most recent events / day-conferences have been:
- FMRG24 'Videogaming in France and the Francophone world' - organised by Hugh Dauncey (Newcastle), Jonathan Ervine (Bangor), and Chris Tinker (Heriot-Watt) - held in Newcastle on Friday 23 October 2015.
- 'L'âge d'or. Médias, mémoires et nostalgies' - Journée co-organisée par Thibault Le Hégarat (CHCSC Université Versailles Saint-Quentin en Yvelines) et Emmanuelle Fantin (GRIPIC Celsa Paris-Sorbonne), avec la participation du French Media Research Group (Newcastle and Nottingham Universities, GB) - held at the Maison de la recherche, Sorbonne University, Paris, 12 September 2014.
- FMRG23 'Media, Memory and Nostalgia in France and the Francophone world' II - organised by Hugh Dauncey (Newcastle) and Chris Tinker (Heriot-Watt) - held in Newcastle on Friday 25 October 2013.
- FMRG22 'Media, Memory and Nostalgia in France and the Francophone world' I - organised by Chris Tinker (Heriot-Watt) and Hugh Dauncey (Newcastle) - held at Heriot-Watt University on Friday 19 April 2013.
- FMRG21 '"Vivement Dimanche !" Politics, Media and France's Electoral Year 2011/12' - organised by Sheila Perry (Nottingham) and Paul Smith (Nottingham) - held at Nottingham University on 12-13 September 2012.