The documents below provide further information on using the Talk of the Toon interviews together with suggestions for student activities and projects. For further useful resources, see the list of websites in the Links section. For example, the Linguistics Research Digest offers jargon-free summaries of current research papers in Language and Linguistics.
KS2 & KS3
A selection of word games from The Talk of the Toon's Discovery Museum Workshops, May 2011 (PowerPoint files).
- Mystery Words (1): Listen to the sound clips and work out which of four objects the speakers are talking about.
- Mystery Words (2): More sound clips and more objects. Which speaker is talking about which object?
- Dialect Word Puzzle: Solve the clues and reveal the hidden key word.
- Dialect Words & Meanings: Use the word and picture clues to match the dialect terms to their meanings. (Answers)
- Coming soon.
- For details on how to download text file versions of the Talk of the Toon (DECTE) interviews, visit the 'Corpus Files' section of the DECTE website: http://research.ncl.ac.uk/decte
- Getting Started with AntConc: a guide to searching the DECTE interview text files with a freeware text analysis program
- Exercises: investigating language features with The Talk of the Toon and DECTE interviews
- Suggestions for Student Activities and Projects: Corpora, Questionnaires and Media Research
- Bibliography: Resources for Language Variation, Language Change and Discourse Analysis