Undergraduate Research Experience Placements
Applications for our 2022 summer placements are now open! You can find the list of projects that we are offering here.
Closing date: Tuesday 31 May 2022
The NERC Research Experience Placement (REP) schemes are designed to encourage undergraduates undertaking subjects outside of the NERC remit to consider careers in environmental science. The scheme aims to address both thematic gaps as well as demographic and diversity-related challenges in environmental sciences by offering funding for paid placements for undergraduate students. During the scheme an undergraduate joins one of our partner institutions for up to 8 weeks over the summer to complete a short-term research project within the environmental sciences.
We particularly welcome applications from diversity candidates who may fall into the three key areas below:
- Undergraduates who are Black, Chinese, Asian, Arabic, or of another non-white ethnicity
- Undergraduates who are from the first generation in their family to go to university
- Undergraduates currently studying in a quantitative/data-based discipline who are interested in applying their skills within the environmental sciences
Students are subject to eligibility criteria to be able to apply for NERC REPs. Selected students must meet ALL of the following criteria to be eligible for a REP. The students must:
- Be undertaking their first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters)
- Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (ie UK, EU or right to remain in the UK).
In order to be considered for a placement, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of 31 May 2022. You should provide the following:
- A cover letter detailing your motivation to apply and the project for which you would like to be considered
- A recent CV
- A reference from your personal tutor
- An interim transcript if available
- Please also complete the online EDI form (this form is a mandatory part of the application process, but contains ‘prefer not to say’ options for all questions asked)
- Applications are screened for eligibility
- Applications are forwarded to supervisors (without the EDI form)
- Supervisors then nominate candidates to the ONE Planet REP Panel
- Successful candidates will be informed no later than Thursday 30th June.
Students will be paid for their placement via the host institution.
Both partner Universities pay hourly rates based on the national living wage.
NERC will provide £3312 per REP including £500 for research costs