The Mayor, Mr Riley Lord, suggests the building of a new Infirmary to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The proposal is enthusiastically taken up at a council meeting on 7th October, and a subscription started which immediately amounted to £38,700. Mr John Hall donates £100,000, followed by £100,000 from the second Lord Armstrong in 1901. A contract is entered costing £203,527 to build the new infirmary on the Leazes. The site was a condition of Mr Hall's offer, as he wanted the infirmary built near the recreation ground, rather than in the dirty city.
Dr George Redmayne Murray appointed physician. He left in 1908 to a chair in Manchester.
James Rutherford Morison appointed honorary surgeon, having been assistant in 1888
Foundation stone laid by the Prince of Wales on 20th June.
Ground plan of the new infirmary
11th July, King Edward VII opens the new Royal Victoria Infirmary. September 15th, the transition takes place from old to new infirmaries.
The last patient leaves the old infirmary on Forth Banks
And what happened to the old Infirmary?
The position of the Infirmary on Forth Banks, prior to partial demolition in the 50s
The following photographs were taken by Dr Phil Barrow in the early 80's
The remains of the Ravensworth Wing, a Skoda showroom
The Ravensworth Wing in 1885