How to Apply
**The deadline for all applications has now closed. Please continue to check our website for future opportunities**
Applicants should make a formal application to their preferred MoSMed project. Applications should be submitted to either Newcastle or Durham University via the relevant Application Portal depending on where the lead supervisor of your chosen project is based.
If you wish to be considered for an additional project at the same institution (to which you have formally applied) you should contact the relevant MoSMed CDT Manager so that your application data can be shared with the recruiting MoSMed supervisor. Please DO NOT submit multiple cover letters as part of your formal application. If you wish to provide an alternative cover letter for a project at the same institution, please email it direct to the relevant CDT Manager.
If you wish to be considered for an additional project at a partner institution, you will need to formally apply to that institution by the deadline.
Your application will include:
- An upto date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter
- All information and documentation as required by the Applications Portal
Please state in your cover letter why you wish to apply to MoSMed and your chosen project. Please ensure you include the studentship reference code and the full title of the project you are applying for in your letter.
There is no application fee to apply to MoSMed CDT.
The studentship awards are open to applications from UK and International (including EU) applicants as per EPSRC guidance. Please note there is a limited number of awards available.
Successful candidates will have an excellent Master’s level degree in a subject aligned with your chosen project. Typically, this will be synthetic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, theoretical chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, structural biology, cell biology, molecular modelling, computer science, or biophysics. First class Bachelor degrees plus relevant experience will also be considered. MoSMed will consider full-time and part-time applicants.
For general CDT and application enquiries please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we are unable to provide feedback to applicants who are not shortlisted for interview.
Applying to Newcastle
You must apply through the University’s online application system
When applying to Newcastle University please select the Course Code 8207F (PhD in Molecular Sciences)
You will need to:
- Insert the programme code 8207F in the programme of study section
- Select ‘PhD in Molecular Sciences’ as the programme of study
- Input (only) the studentship reference code (e.g. 21_01) that you are applying for in the studentship/partnership reference field when prompted (all codes are outlined in the individual project adverts found on the MoSMed website: https://research.ncl.ac.uk/mosmed/phdstudentships/)
- Attach all documents that are requested including a CV and cover letter. The cover letter must clearly state the project reference code, the full title of the studentship and state how your interests and experience relate to the project
- Attach degree transcripts and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualifications
- Email: email@example.com once you have submitted your application to confirm the project you have applied for. Please include the studentship reference code and full project title
Please note that you can only submit one application via the university's application portal.
Should you have any queries regarding the application process to Newcastle University please contact Selina McCarthy, MoSMed CDT Manager: Selina.McCarthy@newcastle.ac.uk
Applying to Durham
You must apply through the University's online application system.
When applying to Durham University please select the code F1A201 PhD in Molecular Sciences for Medicine (EPSRC CDT) which is to be found when searching by Chemistry in the Course search box.
During the application process you will be asked to:
Attach a CV and Cover Letter. The cover letter must state the title of the studentship, quote the relevant reference code and state how your interests and experience relate to the project
Attach degree transcripts and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualifications
Include the contact details of two referees who will then be contacted in support of your application and asked to upload a reference letter directly to the University portal. Alternatively, these can be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Clearly state under the ‘Field of Study’ section of the application form which project(s) within MoSMed that you are applying for by including the title and reference number of the project.
Should you have any queries regarding the application process to Durham University please contact Emma Worden, MoSMed CDT Manager (Durham University): email@example.com
As we are currently working remotely, our response times may take longer than usual. We will endeavour to respond to all emails and queries as soon as we can.