'Voices and Books, 1500–1800' Workshop 1: Saturday 12th April 2014
Venue Conference Room, Royal Northern College of Music, 124 Oxford Road Manchester M13 9RD
- 9.30 Neil Rhodes (St Andrews University): 'Speech and Text in Early Modern England: An Outline of Some Problems'
- 10.20 Communal sight-reading from part-books: live demonstration with RNCM vocal students, with commentary by Richard Wistreich
- 11.15 Coffee
- 11.45 Abigail Williams (St Peter's College, Oxford) 'Practices of reading aloud in the eighteenth century'
- 12.30 Lunch (at RNCM)
- 1.15 Richard Bethell (National Early Music Association): 'The Hegemony of Vocal Sound through the Long Eighteenth Century' (with live demonstration by a singer - followed by discussion)
- 2.00 Felicity Laurence (Newcastle University) and Emma Wileman (Malborough Road Academy): 'Children's voices in the contemporary classroom'
- 2.45 Tea
- 3.00 Kate van Orden (Harvard University): 'Typography, Civility and Song in C16th France'
- 3.45 Margaret Wilkinson (Newcastle University): Writing for radio
- 4.30 Closing discussion
- 5.00 Finish
This event is free and open to anyone who would like to come. If you are interested in attending, however, please contact the Network Co-ordinator: Helen.Stark@ncl.ac.uk. (N.B. places may be limited). Bursaries to attend! We have bursaries for unsalaried ECRs (within 2 years of PhD) and PhD students to cover some of the cost of travel / accommodation to attend a workshop. If you would like this support please send a short statement about how attendance at one of the workshops would benefit your research to the Network Co-ordinator: Helen.Stark@ncl.ac.uk. *DEADLINE FOR BURSARIES FOR THIS WORKSHOP: 5PM ON 3RD MARCH 2014*