The Instituto de Desarrollo Regional(IDR), affiliated to the University of Seville is a research, study
and specialised training centre in the field of regional and urban economic development.
It is a non-profit institution that receives economic support from public and private institutions.
Since its creation in 1972, it has promoted and financed more than 200 research works and published
almost 100 papers and books.
The activities carried out by the institute include theoretical and applied research work, consulting
studies, expert reports, projects, expert training, organisation of courses, seminars, series of
conferences and encounters, as well as publishing and disseminating scientific works and strategic
information regarding regional development.
IDR will lead the international thematic study into management education and training
and undertake regional case studies in Andalucia and Madrid.
Click here to go to
The Instituto de Desarrollo Regional Homepage
Click here for a Centre profile (in English)
Instituto de Desarrollo Regional
Universidad de Sevilla
Avenida de Ramon y Cajal, 35
Tel: +34 95 465 4911/4955
Fax: +34 95 465 8157
IDR'S Research Lines
Economy and Environment
In the face of the conflict between economic growth and preservation of the Environment, the IDR has focused a great part of its research work on these problems. Thus, since 1995 the Institute has been conducting several studies in the environmental field, starting always from the Sustainable Development Model as the only possible option for the production of goods and services, respecting during the production process the natural resources they rely on.
The strategic importance of an adequate management of natural resources, the preservation of the natural wealth and the promotion of the capacity of the productive tissue are some of the reasons that justify the study of the relationships between economic aspects and the environment. The underlying idea is that the preservation of the environment can not become an additional load in the structure of business costs but rather serve as a differentiation factor in international markets and have a pulling effect on the whole regional productive structure.
Establishing a communication channel among research centres, public institutions, universities and companies is the basis of the work performed in this area. The final objective we pursue is the production and dissemination of strategic information as well as setting up a permanent debate and discussion forum.
Research works under way
- "New Opportunities for Biotechnology and Agrochemical Industry in Andalucia". NOBA Project. Approved under the framework of the ATYCA Initiative of the Ministry of Industry and Energy, within the Area of Infrastructures and Innovation Networks.
- Infrastructures and Innovation Networks for the Promotion of the Environmental Goods and Services Industry in Andalucia. BSM Project, started by the Institute in 1996. Approved under the framework of the ATYCA Initiative.
- BSM-Tourism Project. Environmental Challenges and Business and Technology Solutions for the Tourist Industry in Andalucia. Included in the ATYCA Initiative of the Ministry of Industry and Energy.
- BSM-Foodfarming. Environmental Challenges and Business and Technology Solutions for the Foodfarming Industry in Andalucia. Included in the ATYCA Initiative of the Ministry of Industry and Energy.
- "Policy Influences on Technology for Agriculture: Chemicals, Biotechnology and Seeds". (PITA). January 1998-December 2000 Included in the 4th Framework Programme of the European Union (TSER). Financed by the XII y directed by the Centre for Technology Strategy. Open University, London.
- Studies on the Integral Development of Los Alcornocales National Park and Ex-ante Assessments of the Integral Development Plans for the Los Alcornocales and Sierra Magina National Parks. Specific agreement with the Regional Environment Ministry to draft a sustainable Development model for the Los Alcornocales National Park and its surrounding area. July 1998-March 1999.
- Environmental Policy Instruments as Stimuli for Innovation and R&D (Envinno). Included in the 4th EU R&D Framework Programme. In collaboration with the Interdisciplinary Institute of Environmental Economics and Management of the University of Vienna; the Forschungstelle für Umweltpolitik (FFU), Freie Universität Berlin, Germany; Centre for Clean Technology and Environmental Policy (CSTM). Twente, Netherlands; Resources Research Unit, School of Urban and Regional Studies, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom; Roskilde Universitets Center, Department of Environment Technology and Social Studies ("UROSK.DETSS"), Denmark.
- Training and Professional Skills Needs in the Renewable Energy Sector in Andalucia. Specific agreement with the Training and Social Studies Institute:
Assessment of Public Policies
Assessment is a research field whose main focus is to analyse the concept, design, implementation and assessment of the usefulness of public policies and programmes. First of all, assessment is an instrument available to managers to improve, plan and implement their actions.
Development of this applied research field in Spain is only recent. The modernisation of the Spanish Administration, the entry into the European Union, the need to control public deficit and the politic-administrative decentralisation process with the multiplication of territorial bodies with increasing powers the latter entails, have made assessment an essential element in public management.
Since 1994, the Instituto de Desarrollo Regional has a well trained staff in management of assessment techniques, which is working in two areas: collaboration with public administrations, both in research and consulting and in training, and contribution to regional development by means of a better knowledge of economic conditions and its dissemination.
Research works under way
- 1st stage of the Assessment of the Agreement for Farming Employment and Social Protection. Addenda to the Agreement with the Labour and Social affairs Ministry, contracted with the National Employment Institute.
- Assessment of the Promotion Policy of the Regional Government of Andalucia 1.990-1.995. Directorate General of Financial Planning. Regional Finance and Treasury Ministry. Finished in April 1998.
- Intermediate Assessment of the 94-99 Operative Plan of Andalucia. Conclusions and recommendations. February 1998
- Performance of assessment works on the 1994-1999 Operative Programme of the Province of Seville (European Social Fund), ADAPT Community Initiative and 1998-1999 Operative Programme of the Province of Seville (ERDF) Technical Assistance for the Company Sevilla Siglo XXI S.A.
- Collaboration agreement with the Foundation Doñana 21
During 1998 the DR opened a new research line: the analysis of the labour market. This happened due to the current importance of labour issues within economy in general and more specifically within the regional economy.
Considering the 1977-1994 period, unemployment in Spain has grown by more than three million. This increase cannot be attributed just to the growth of activity rates, which are still bellow the figures of the other European Union countries. Unemployment in Andalucia, which is even more severe than in the rest of Spain, is persistent and long term.
This situation has attracted researchers' interest who have tried to find explanations to this question. In the same way, the IDR has opened a research line on the labour market to promote research on labour market structure and dynamics, with a special attention to Andalucia's situation.
The objective we pursue with the setting up of this research line is the promotion of a Permanent Expert forum to promote the study and debate of aspects related to the labour market.
The Instituto de Desarrollo Regional has been carrying out research studies and plans in collaboration with the Region's Public Administration in economic sectors, which are basic in Andalucia. At the same time the IDR participates in several Community projects integrated in working groups with other European university institutions.
Research Works under way
- "New perspectives for employment in the Fishing Sector in the Gulf of Cadiz and the Portuguese Algarve". Project co-financed by the D.G. XIV of the European Union and developed in collaboration with the CIDER of the University of the Algarve.
- Universities and Regional Development Studies (UNIREG). Presented at the 4th European R&D Framework Programme, in collaboration with the Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom; Fachgebiet Europäische Raumplanung, Universität Dortmund, Germany; Centre for Financial Studies, University of Athens, Greece; University of Joensuu, Finland; Amsterdam Study Centre for the Metropolitan Environment (AME), University of Amsterdam, Netherlands; Employment Research Unit, Department of Sociology, Trinity College, Dublin. Ireland.
MEETINGS, SEMINARS AND CONFERENCES ORGANISED BY THE IDR
Meeting of the Steering Committee of the project Infrastructures and Innovation Network for the Promotion of the Environmental Goods and Services Industry in Andalucia. Seville, April 1st 1998. Seminar organised by the IDR within the BSM project. The meeting established the bases for drafting an Action Plan for the Promotion of the Environmental Industry in Andalucia and made proposals for its focus, objectives, institutional and budget framework and organisational structure.
Meeting of the Steering Committee of the BSM-Tourism project. Environmental challenges and technological solutions for the Tourist Industry in Andalucia. Technological Park of Andalucia, Malaga, April 2nd 1998. Organised by the IDR within the BSM project. Environmental challenges faced by the tourist industry were discussed. The discussion document was a diagnosis present by the IDR's research team. The team also presented the main objectives of the project and the preliminary conclusions of the field research in towns and hotel facilities.
Meeting of the Steering Committee of the NOBA Project. Seville, April 3rd 1998. Organised by the IDR within the NOBA project (New Opportunities of Biotechnology Application in Agriculture). It analysed the existing opportunities and perspectives for biotechnology and for the agrochemical industry in Andalucia, focusing on the regional innovation system in these fields.
International Conference "Water Management 1998. Algarve-Andalucia: Challenges and Proposals". Faro, June 25th-26th 1998. Organised by the IDR in collaboration with the Regional Development and Economy Research Center of the University of Algarve, under the co-operation programme between both entities. The conference discussed in detail topics such as policies and institutions responsible for water management, several management experiences and the role of new technologies.
NOBA Conference. "New Opportunities of Biotechnology Application in Agriculture". Seville, December 11th 1998.
Seminar on "The foodfarming industry in Andalucia. Technological and business solutions for their environmental management". Seville, December 14th 1998.
"Impacts on Trade of the New Fisheries International Order". Summer course organised by the International University of Andalucia, July 27th-31st 1998.
Participation as teachers in the course "Impacts on Trade of the New Fisheries International Order". Iberoamerican Campus in La Rabida. International University of Andalucia, July 27th-31st 1998.
Direction and organisation of the Seminar "Economic relations between Cadiz and the Rif: the case of fisheries". In collaboration with UIMP (International University Menendez Pelayo) and the Community of Townships of the Lower Guadalquivir. Sanlucar de Barrameda, August 1998.
Direction and organisation of the Seminar " North-South Co-operation in the Mediterranean". In collaboration with UIMP and the Community of Townships of the Lower Guadalquivir. Sanlucar de Barrameda, August 1998.
Direction of the course "Assessment as economic policy instrument: the experience of youth employment policies". Experiences on youth employment. International Youth Meeting. Cabueñes (Gijon), October 1998.
Seminar on "Public Policy Assessment Methodology: Methodology orientations for Assessment". Faro, October 25th 1998.
Presentations at Courses, Conferences and Seminars
- "Assessment analysis of the Operative Programme Andalucia 1.994-99" presented at The European Conference on Assessment Practices in the field of structural policies. Organised by the D.G. XVI of Regional Policy and Cohesion of the European Commission. Seville, March 16th-17th 1998.
- "European Conference on Assessment Practices in the field of structural policies". Organised by the European Commission. Seville, March 13th-17th 1998.
- "Environment as a new employment bed". 2nd Conference on Local Development. Organised by the Provincial Government of Cordoba. February 19th-20th 1998.
- Round Table on "Regional and sectorial policies in Andalucia. Community restrictions and regional priorities". 2nd Conference on Industrial Policy in Andalucia organised by the labour union Comisiones Obreras de Andalucia. Cadiz, March 5th-6th 1998.
- "New directives for the problem of value transformation in production prices". Conference on Critical Economy. Malaga, March 12th- 14th 1998.
- Regional Economy. "Regional developments within a global context". International Seminar on territory and globalisation. Los Aneds University. Bogota, Colombia, April 22nd-24th 1998.
- Evaluation of the impact of structural funds on environment. Ecotec, May 15th 1998.
- Presentation: "Regional Development in a globalised economy". Course "The Canary Islands and Europe". University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. School of Economics and Business. May 18th 1998.
- Presentation: "Regional Economy". University of Castille-La Mancha. Albacete, June 30th 1998.
- Presentation: "Urban tourism in Sevilla: relationship between culture-monuments and quality hotel supply in the old city center and its surroundings". 4th Forum of Urban Geography and 6th Forum of Tourism Geography. Organised by the Spanish Geographer Association. of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, June 22nd-24th 1998.
- "The role of Government in a Free Market Economy". Event Economy 98. Organised by the National Assosciation of Economists and the Latinamerican and Caribbean Association of Economists. Havanna (Cuba), July 1st-3rd 1998.
- Presentations at the "Summer Course on Trade Impacts of the New International Fishing Order" Organised by the International University of Andalucia. La Rabida, July 27th-31st 1998.
- "Andalusian Fisheries in North Africa". Presented at the Seminar "Economic relations between Cadiz and Rif: the case of fisheries". August 1998. International University of La Rabida.
- Presentations at the Conference "North-South Co-operation in the Mediterranean". Organised by the International University of La Rabida, September 1st-3rd 1998.
- "New employment perspectives in South European fishing regions". Fisheries Dependent Regions Lofoten Workshop. Organised by the European Social Science Fisheries Network. Lofoten, Norway, August 1998.
- "Regional Administration in the new Europe". Geography and Public Administration (GPA) Meeting. Lisbon, August 30th - September 1st 1998 on "Local and Regional Services Restructuring and Reform".
- Presentations at the 1st Conference of Trade in Rural Areas. Organised by the Association of Townships of the Estepa Area (Seville) October 10th-11th 1998.
- Technical Sessions "Environmental challenges and technological solutions available for the tourist industry in Andalucia". Organised by the Provincial Tourism Trust of Cadiz. Andalusian Tourist Fair. Jerez, October 24th-26th 1998.
- Conference "Alliance for a sustainable information society". Organised by the European Environment Agency. Copenhagen (Denmark), October 30th 1998.
- Participation at the Round Table "Research and other alternatives" in the Sessions on the sea as emplyment generator. Organised by UGT. Punta Umbria (Huelva), November 19th-20th 1998.
- Presentation of the "Sustainable Development Plan of Los Alcornocales Natural Park". Seminar on the application of the Habitat Directive in Los Alcornocales Natural Park. Organised by the Regional Ministry of Environment and WWW/Adena. Jerez de la Frontera, November 19th-20th 1998.
- Presentation "Characteristics of Andalusian exports to Morrocco". 3rd Regional Economy Conference. Organised by the Regional Studies Task Group of the Spanish Geographer Association and the Catalonian Foundation for Research. Barcelona, December 2rd-4th 1998.
- Participation in the expert panel of the Technical Conference to debate the Andalusian Territorial Ordenation Plan and the "Andalusian Infrastructure Director Plan 197-2007" held within the exhibition "Andalucia: much in common". December 3rd 1998.
- "Environmental Challenges and technological soultions in historic towns. BSM project". 4th Seminar of the Permanent Forum of Tourism and Towns on "Quality Management in tourist towns". International Tourism Centre of andalucia (CINTA). Marbella, December 3rd-4th 1998.
- Presentations at the 2nd Regional Science Conference: "Andalucia in the europe of the regions". Jaen, December 10th-12th 1998.
- "Employment perspectives in the fishing sector in the Gulf of Cadiz and the Portuguese Algarve". Ruta Pesquera # 8. May-June 1.998.
- "The value of an imposture". Ruta Pesquera # 7. March-April 1.998.
- "The Environmental Industry in Andalucia". Cuadernos Económicos de Andalucía, # 8, June 1998. Caja General de Ahorros de Granada.
- "Modernisation plan of the Andalusian Fishing Sector". Agricultura y Sociedad magazine. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. General Technical Secretary. 1998.
- "The Environmental Industry in Andalucia: Characteristics, trends and opportunities". Vol. I y II. Final report. Collaboration Agreement of the Regional Ministry of Environment. Finished in April 1997. In press.
- Guidebook for public policy and programme assessment. Under edition.
AGREEMENTS WITH OTHER UNIVERSITIES AND INSTITUTIONS
- Agreement with the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research of the Sheffield Hallam University for the exchange of researchers and teachers and collaboration in research projects.
- Agreement with Comisiones Obreras of Andalucia to conduct common interest studies and activities.
- Framework Agreement with the Training and Social Affairs Institute to conduct common interest activities.
The Instituto de Desarrollo Regional, represented by its Director or by its Vicedirector, is part of:
- Advisory Council of the Institute for the Promotion of Andalucia
- Economic Observatory of andalucia
- Provincial Tourism Trust of Seville
- Advisory Commission for Domestic Trade
- MEANS European Expert Commission
- Internal Assessor of the D.G. XVI of the European Union
- "Alliance for a sustainable information society". Promoted by the European Environment Agency
- Work Commission "For a Cohesioned Andalucia" of The Andalucia Nuevo Siglo Forum
FOREIGN RESEARCHER AND SCHOLARS HOSTED
Prof. Dr. Oneida Alvarez. University of Havanna.
Erasmus Programme Scholars
University of Austria: WIRTSCHAFTSUNIVERSITÄT
Back to UNIREG Home Page
Maintained by email@example.com
- Last modified on 4th May 1999.