Ideas to eat more fruit & vegetable
Increasing our consumption of fruit and vegatables is a very important step towards healthier eating. Here we list ten tips to increase your consumption of fruit and vegetables:
1. Keep your refrigerator and cupboards stocked with Mediterranean basics including fruits and vegetables.
- Plan your meals beforehand
- Avoid last minute trips for groceries or fast food
- Frozen, canned and root vegetables such as carrots last longer and can be bought in advance
2. Be creative for your breakfast!
- Sprinkle your oatmeal with raisins, currants or berries
- Add banana to your cereal or natural yoghurt bowl
- Ripe fruits can be excellent to make a real tasty smoothie - valuable energy to start your day
3. Use your lunchtime and snack time wisely!
- Swap breadsticks to carrots and use humus as a dip
- Dried fruit are always a healthy, tasty and filling snack
- Add olives to your tuna sandwich
- Whether it is sandwich or wrap, vegetables make a great addition to both
4. A minute good soup guide.
- Use peppers, tomatoes, carrots, onions and beans for your minestrone soup
- Blended pumpkin soup is a great source of Vitamin A! (helps to see in the dark )
- Blend cooked spinach and broccoli to make an antioxidant rich veggie soup
5. Planning an Italian dinner?
- Garnish your thin crust pizza with extra tomato, spinach or even avocado
- Have fun with your pasta! Stir in lightly fried courgette, vine tomatoes, broccoli, peppers or just use any vegetables you like!
- Guacamole would make a creamy healthy pasta sauce
6. Useful tips for egg lovers!
- Ever thought about having an egg salad?
- Lay salad leaves on the plate, add tomatoes, onion, cut in half hard boiled eggs and sprinkle with croutons on top
- Vegetable omelette? It is simple and tasty! Just add spinach, tomatoes, onions to your egg mixture
7. Family grills and BBQ.
- Skewers are always fun and enjoyable. Make them more veggie! Use peppers, courgette, tomatoes, onions.
- Grilling is also a healthy way to prepare meat as no extra fat is used
8. Chose veggie sides to complement your main course.
- A bowl of salad with olive oil and lemon juice vinaigrette would make a great side dish to your chicken or grilled salmon
- Don’t panic! No food cut down! Use a suggestion to combine with your boiled rice or potatoes
- Incorporate oranges, olives, peppers and tangerines for a variety
- Stir fried vegetables such as onion, peppers, courgette , green beans and asparagus can also make a great side dish
9. Fancy a desert?
- Go for a real fruit sorbet
- Bake using plenty of fruits
- Love chocolate? Dip your fruits into the chocolate fondue!
- Incorporate fruits to your jelly desert
- What about fruit salad?
10. Fruit-up your drinks!
- Chill Ice-Tea with frozen fruit
- Make your own lemonade using lemons, grapefruits or oranges, brown sugar and water
- Up for cocktails? There is a variety of ways to make a non-alcoholic fruit cocktail. For a fruit punch choose your favourite fruits and add soda water, let fruits flavour soda and enjoy!