Publications: 2010- present
- G Akay and J Vickers (2010) Methods for separating oil and water, US Patent, 7780854.
- M Dogru and G Akay (2010). Catalytic gasification, Australian Patent, 2004-88845.
- G Akay, ZZ Noor, OF Calkan, T Ndlovu and D Burke, (2010). Process for preparing a functionalised PolyHIPE Polymers, US Patent 7820729.
- M Dogru and G Akay (2011). Catalytic gasification, Japanese Patent, 2006-53894.
- G Akay and J Vickers (2012) Oil-water separation. European Patent EP 1307402.
- G Akay and J Vickers (2012) Methods for separating oil and water, US Patent, US 8177985.
Patents Granted – in press
- G Akay, B Calkan, H Hasan, R Mohamed (2013). Preparation of nano-structured microporous composite foams, International Patent Publication PCT WO/ 2010/041014. European Patent to be granted after splitting the original application into 3.
- G Akay, S Downes, VJ Price (2013). Microcellular Polymers as Cell Growth Media and Novel Polymers, International Patent Publication PCT/WO/ 34454 . European and Japan applications
- G Akay (2013). Nanostructured Microporous Composite Foams, International Patent Publication PCT/GB2009/002403.
- G Akay, DR Burke (2010). Synthetic symbiotic system as soil additives to deliver active ingredients through plant roots for enhanced plant and crop yield. International Patent Publication PCT WO/2010/040996
- G Akay, B Calkan, H Hasan and R Mohamed (2010). Preparation of nano-structured microporous composite foams, International Patent Publication PCT WO/ 2010/041014
- G. Akay (2012). Ammonia production by integrated intensified processes, International Patent Publication PCT WO 2012/025767.
- Process intensification in the catalytic synthesis of supported catalysts with hierarchic pore structure, PCT/GB2013/050122 (Jan 2013)
- Integrated intensified biorefinery for gas-to-liquid conversion, PCT/GB2013/050125 (Jan 2013).
- DR Burke and G Akay (2010). Development of novel polymeric materials for agroprocess intensification. J. Appl. Polymer Sci., 118: 3292-3299.
- G Akay, B Dissanayake and A Morgan (2011). Process intensification in particle technology: Production of powder coatings produced by nonisothermal flow- induced phase inversion. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 50: 3239-3246.
- L Liu, G Akay and L Tong (2011). Population balance modeling for a flow induced phase inversion based granulation in a two dimensional rotating agglomerator. Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 89: 39-47.
- G Akay and AC Jordan (2011). Gasification of fuel cane bagasse in a downdraft gasifier: influence of lignocellulosic composition and fuel particle size on syngas composition and yield. Energy and Fuel 25: 2274-2283.
- B. Dissanayake, A. Morgan and G. Akay (2012), Process intensification in particle technology: Characteristics of powder coatings produced by nonisothermal flow- induced phase inversion. AIChE Journal, 58: 1060-1068.
- G Akay, T Pekdemir, A M Shakorfow, J Vickers (2012). Intensified demulsification and separation of thermal oxide reprocessing interfacial crud (THORP-IFC) simulants. Green Synthesis and Processing. 1:109-127.
- CA Jordan and G Akay (2012) Speciation and distribution of alkali, alkali earth metals and major ash forming elements during gasification of fuel cane bagasse. Fuel, 91: 253-263.
- CA Jordan and G Akay (2012). Occurrence, composition and dew point of tars produced during gasification of fuel cane bagasse in a downdraft gasifier. Biomass and Bioenergy. 42:51-58
- G Akay and DR Burke (2012) AgroProcess intensification through synthetic rhizosphere media for nitrogen fixation and yield enhancement. Am. J. Agricultural Biological Sci., 7: 150-172.
- G. Akay and S. Fleming (2012). AgroProcess Intensification: Micro-bioreactors as soil additives with nitrogen fixing bacterium Azospirillum brasilense to enhance its potential as self-sustaining biofertiliser. Green Processing and Synthesis. 1: 227-237.
- CA Jordan and G Akay (2013). Effect of CaO on Tar Production and Dew Point Depression during Gasification of Fuel Cane Bagasse in a Novel Downdraft Gasifier. Fuel Processing Technology. 106:654-660
- G. Akay, CA Jordan, AH Mohammed (2013), Syngas cleaning with nano-structured micro-porous ion exchange polymers in biomass gasification using a novel downdraft gasifier, J. Energy Chemistry, in press.
- G Akay and S Fleming (2011). Engineered ecosystem development for AgroProcess Intensification. In: Y Villacampa and CA Brebbia (Eds.) Ecosystems and Sustainable Development, pp. 485-496, WIT Press, Southampton (UK).
- EM Akay, Z Okumus, OS Yildirim, MA Bokhari, G Akay, (2011). Synthetic organs for transplant and bio-mimic reactors for process intensification using nano-structured micro-porous materials. In: CA Brebbia et al (Eds.), Environmental Health and Biomedicine, pp.383-394, WIT Press, Southampton (UK).
Plenary Conference Presentations
- Agro-, Bio-, Chemical- and Energy-Process Intensifications and Their Applications in Intensified Integrated Plants and Engineered Ecosystems, AIChE Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, Nov 2010.
- Intensified Chemical-Biochemical Plant and Ecosystem Development to Combat Food-Energy-Water Shortages and Global Warming, International Workshop on Process Intensification 2010 (IWPI-2010) – Kyushu University, Japan, December 2010.
- Development of Integrated Intensified Bio-Refinery Technology to Combat Global Warming: Power, Biofuel and Bio-Ammonia Production from Biomass. 19th IUPAC International Conference on Chemical Research Applied to World Needs (CHEMRAWN XIX) September 27-29, Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, September 27-29, 2011.
- Combating Global Warming through Ecosystem Engineering and Intensified-Intensified Power-Fuel- Chemicals Production from Biomass, 6th International Ege Energy Symposium and Exhibition Ege University, Izmir, Turkey: June, 28 – 30, 2012.
Keynote Conference Presentations
- DSTI Congress on ‘Prepare for the Future’, Amersfoort, The Netherlands, 25 June 2010.
- Invited keynote speaker for the interdisciplinary session: World Congress on Oleo Science, Nagasaki, Japan. 30 Sep - 4 Oct, 2012.