ProPIG is a European Union ERA-net CORE Organic II project, in which re-search funding from individual member countries is co-ordinated. It is planned to run for 3 years between 2011 and 2014. To find out more go to Research Projects > ProPIG on:
( top menu > Research projects > ProPIG )
Five phases to ProPIG:
- Monitor health, welfare, feeding and environmental impacts on organic pig farms across 8 European countries
- Compare results to identify strengths and weaknesses in man-agement
- Discuss findings with farmers and encourage everybody to adopt best practice where possible
- Return to monitor farms a year later to see if improvements have been achieved in practice
- Finally sharing findings within the industry and other researchers
A group of 8 research partners are working together to investigate the relationship between health, welfare, nutrition and the environmental im-pact of organic pig production across Europe.
The idea is to identify and roll out best practice on farms then develop-ing a decision support tool to guide sound management leading to im-prove efficiency.
The research will test if:
- Good animal health, welfare and proper nutrition decreases the envi-ronmental impact at farm level
- When well managed, all production systems practiced across Europe are similar in respect to environ-mental impacts, animal health and welfare
- Identifying specific problems on farms and offering advice will im-prove welfare, reduce their envi-ronmental impacts and improve profitability
- Better feed management will im-prove pig performance, health, wel-fare and environmental impacts.
Activities will be carried out over a range of production systems in;