- Woodward, R. and Jenkings, K.N. (2012) Military memoirs, their covers, and the reproduction of public narratives of war. Journal of War and Culture Studies 5 (3), special issue, ‘Men at War’.
- Woodward, R. and Jenkings, K.N. (2012) Soldiers’ bodies and the contemporary British military memoir. In K.McSorley, S. Maltby and G. Schaffer (Eds.) War and the Body: Militarisation, Practice and Experience, Routledge, London.
- Woodward, R. and Jenkings, K.N. (2011) Reconstructing the colonial present in British soldiers' accounts of the Afghanistan conflict. In Kirsch, S. and Flint, C. (Eds.) Reconstructing Conflict: Integrating War and Post-War Geographies, London: Ashgate, 115-131. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (2008) 'Not for Queen and Country or any of that shit...': reflections on citizenship and military participation in contemporary British soldier narratives. In Gilbert, E. and Cowan, D. (Eds) War, Citizenship, Territory. Routledge, London, pp.363-384. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (2000) Warrior heroes and little green men: military training and the construction of rural masculinities. Rural Sociology 65 (4), 640-657. Special issue on rural masculinities. [Further details]
- Not military, but about personal narratives: Woodward R. (2007) Narratives of destruction and survival: writing and reading about life in urban war zones. Theory and Event 10 (2) . [Further details]
Soldiers, identities, and representation
- Woodward, R. and Jenkings, K.N. (in press) Soldier/peacekeeper In Adey, P., Bissell, D., Hannam, K., Merriman, P. and Sheller, M. (Eds) Handbook of Mobilities. Routledge.
- Woodward, R. and Jenkings, K.N. (2012) Soldiers’ photographic representations of participation in armed conflict. In S. Gibson (Ed.) Representations of Peace and Conflict, Palgrave.
- Woodward, R., and Jenkings, KN., (2011) Military identities in the situated accounts of British military personnel. Sociology 45 (2): 252-268 [Further details]
- Jenkings, K.J., Woodward, R., Williams, A., Rech, M., Murphy, A. and Bos, D. (2010) Military Occupations. Sociology Compass 5 (1): 37-51.
- Woodward, R. , Winter, T. and Jenkings, KN (2009) Heroic anxieties: the figure of the British solider in contemporary print media. Journal of War and Culture Studies 2 (2) : 211-223. [Further details]
- Jenkings, KN. , Woodward R. and Winter, T. (2008) The emergent production of analysis in photo-elicitation: pictures of military identity. FQS: Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung, 9 (3) Article 30. [Further details]
- Woodward, R. , Winter, T. and Jenkings, KN. (2010) Negotiating military identities: memory work and the use of personal photographs by British soldiers. In Hall, K. and Jones, K. (Eds. ) Constructions of Conflict: Transmitting Memories of the Past in European Historiography, Literature and Culture. Peter Lang, Bern, 53-71. [Further details]
- Woodward, R. , Winter, T. and Jenkings, N. (2010) 'I used to keep a camera in my top left-hand pocket': British soldiers, their photographs and the performance of geopolitical power. In MacDonald, F. , Dodds, K. and Hughes, R. (Eds. ) Observant States: Geopolitics and Visuality, I.B.Tauris, London. [Further details]
- Jenkings, KN. , Winter, T. and Woodward, R. (2008) Representations of soldier identity in print media and soldiers' own photographic accounts. In Boll, J. (Ed) War: Interdisciplinary Investigations Volume 49, electronic publication, Inter-disciplinary Press, Oxford. [Further details]
- Jenkings K.N. , Winter, T. and Woodward, R. (2007) Negotiating Identity and Representation in the Mediated Armed Forces. ESRC End-of Award report. [Further details]
- Jenkings K.N. and Woodward, R. (forthcoming 2010) Negotiating identity: representation and self-representation of the soldier in photographs and memoirs. Chapter for special volume of yearbook Krieg und Literature / War and Literature, Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, Goettingen, presentation at Machines of Truth: The Image on Technological Innovations on the Representation and the Image of War in the Media and the Arts, Osnabrück, 2009. To see a draft copy of this chapter, please contact Neil Jenkings.
Gender and the Armed Forces
- Rachel Woodward and Trish Winter (2007) Sexing the Soldier: the Politics of Gender and the Contemporary British Army (London: Routledge). [Further details]
- Woodward R. and Winter P. (2006) The limits to diversity: gender, women and the British Army. Gender, Work and Organization 13 (1) , 45-67. [Further details]
- Woodward R. and Winter P. (2004) Discourses of gender and the British Army. Armed Forces & Society. Vol 30 (2) , 279-302. [Further details]
- Woodward R. and Winter P. (2003) Gendered Bodies, Personnel Policies and the Culture of the British Army. ESRC End-of-Award report. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (1998) 'It's a Man's Life!': soldiers, masculinity and the countryside. Gender, Place and Culture 5 (3) , 277-300. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (2006) Warrior heroes and little green men: soldiers, military training and the construction of rural masculinities. In Bell, M.M. and Campbell, H. (Eds. ) Country Boys: Masculinity and Rural Life, Penn State University Press. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (2003) 'Locating military masculinities: the role of space and place in the formation of gender identities in the Armed Forces. In Military Masculinities: Identity and the State, edited by P. Higate. Praeger, Westport CT and London, pp. 43-56. [Further details]
- Jenkings, K.N., Megoran, N., Woodward, R. and Bos, D. (2012) Wootton Bassett and the political spaces of remembrance. Area [Further details]
- Woodward R (2009) Militärische Geographie Wissenschaft und Frieden February 2009. [Further details]
- Woodward, R. (2009) Military Geography. International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Elsevier, London. [Further details]
- Paragano, D. (2007) , "Una possibile strategia delle industrie italiane della difesa" - (A possibile strategy for italian defence industries) - Lavoro Individuale Frequentatore IASD, avaible from the Library of the CASD (Italian Centre for High Defense Studies) , Rome.
- Woodward R. (2005) From Military Geography to militarism's geographies: disciplinary engagements with the geographies of militarism and military activities. Progress in Human Geography 29 (6) , 718-740. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (2004) Military Geographies. Blackwell Publishers, Oxford. RGS-IBG book series. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (2001) Khaki conservation: an examination of military environmentalist discourses in the British Army. Journal of Rural Studies 17 (2) , 201-217. [Further details]
- Woodward R. (2001) In Trust and On Trust: The Strategy for the Defence Estate. Land Use Policy 18 (2) , 93-97.
- Woodward R. (2001) 'Local interests, regional needs or national imperative? The Otterburn question and the military in rural areas. In J. Tomaney and N. Ward (Eds. ) , A Region in Transition: North East England at the Millennium. Avebury, Guildford, 199-217.
- Woodward R (2000) Royal Dockyard at Chatham: History and Re-use / Il Royal Dockyard di Chatham: storia e recupero. in Aquapolis: Cities on Water. 5 (1) , 26-31.
- Woodward R. (1999) Gunning for rural England: The politics of the promotion of military land use in the Northumberland National Park. Journal of Rural Studies 15 (1) , 17-33.
- Woodward, R. (2010) Military Landscapes / Militære Landskap: The military landscape photography of Ingrid Book and Carina Hedén. In Pearson, C. , Coates, P and Cole, T. (Eds) Militarised Landscapes: Comparative Histories and Geographies. London: Continuum, 21-38. [Further details]
- Woodward, R. (2008) How military landscapes work. In Book, I. and Hedén, Military Landscapes / Militære Landskap. Bergen International Festival Exhibition, Norway. Hong Kong Press, Bergen Kunsthall, 78-101.
- Woodward R. and Winter P. (2007) 'Movies and the militarised countryside: an examination of war films and representations of the rural'. In Fish, R. (Ed. ) Cinematic Countrysides, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 'Inside Popular Film' Series: 91-106. [Further details]
Military airspaces and aviation
- Adey, P., Whitehead, M., Williams, A.J. (2011) Air-Target: distance, reach and the politics of verticality. Theory, Culture and Society, 28(7-8), 173-187.
- Ward, K., Anderson, B., Coward, M., Sheller, M., Williams, A.J., Cresswell, T. and Adey, P. (2011) Reading Peter Adey's Aerial Life. Political Geography, 30(8), 461-469.
- Williams, A.J. (2011) Enabling Persistent Presence? Performing the embodied geopolitics of the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle assemblage. Political Geography, 30(7), 381-390.
- Williams, A.J. (2011) Blurring boundaries/sharpening borders: Analysing the US’s use of Military aviation technologies to secure international borders, 2001-2008. In: D. Wastl-Walter, (Ed.) The Ashgate Research Companion to Border Studies. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2011, 283-300.
- Williams, A.J. (2011) Reconceptualising spaces of the air: performing the multiple spatialities of UK military airspaces. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 36(2), 253–267.
- Williams, A.J. (2010) Beyond the Sovereign Realm: the geopolitics and power relations in and of outer space. Geopolitics 15(4), 785-793.
- Williams, A. (2009) A crisis in aerial sovereignty?: Considering the implications of recent military violations of national airspace 2009. Area (in press) [Further details]
- Williams, A. J. (2010) Flying the Flag: Pan American Airways and the projection of US power across the interwar Pacific. In: MacDonald, F. ; Hughes, R. ; Dodds, K, ed. Observant States: geopolitics and visual culture. London: I B Tauris. [Further details]
- Elden, S. , and Williams, A. J. (2009) The territorial integrity of Iraq, 2003-2007: invocation, violation, viability. Geoforum 40 (3) : 407-417.
- Donaldson, J. W. ; Williams, A. J. (2008) Delimitation and demarcation: analysing the legacy of Stephen B Jones' boundary-making. Geopolitics 13 (4) : 676-700. [Further details]
- Williams, A. J. (2007) Hakumat al Tayarrat: the role of air power in the enforcement of Iraq'a borders. Geopolitics 12 (3) : 505-528. [Further details]
- Bialasiewicz, L. ; Campbell, D. ; Elden, S. ; Graham, S. ; Jeffrey, A. ; Williams, A. J. (2007) Performing security: the imaginative geography of current US strategy. Political Geography 26: 405-422. [Further details]
The university armed service units
- Williams, A., Egdell, V. and Woodward, R. (2010) Graduate Skills and the University Armed Service Unit Experience. School of Geography Politics and Sociology, Newcastle University. [Further details]
Geography and archaeology of conflict landscapes
- Passmore, D.G., Capps-Tunwell, D. and Harrison, S. (in press) Landscapes of logistics; the archaeology and geography of WW2 German military supply depots in central Normandy, NW France. Journal of Conflict Archaeology.
- Passmore, D.G. and Harrison, S. (2008) Landscapes of the Battle of the Bulge: WW2 Field fortifications in the Ardennes Forests of Belgium. Journal of Conflict Archaeology, 4(1-2); 87-107.
- Harrison, S. and Passmore, D.G. (2008) The Ardennes campaigns of 1944: some theoretical considerations on the role of topography. In: Nathanail, C.P., Abrahart, R.J. and Bradshaw, R.P. (eds) Military Geology and Geography: History and Technology. Nottingham, Land Quality Press, 199-206.
- Passmore, D.G. (2004) Battlefields. In Harrison, S., Pile, S. and Thrift, N. (eds) Patterned Ground: Entanglements of Nature and Culture. London, Reaktion, 96-98.
DNA identification of First World War remains at Fromelles
- Leach Scully, J. and Woodward, R. (2012) Naming the unknown of Fromelles: DNA profiling, ethics and the identification of First World War bodies. Journal of War and Culture Studies 5 (1): 59-72.
The merging of security and defence in the EU
- Mawdsley, J. (2011) Towards an EU Defence and/or Security Market? Are two becoming one?. In: Export Controls and the European Defence Market: Can Effectiveness be Combined with Responsibility?, Brussels, Belgium: Flemish Peace Institute.
- Kempin R, Mawdsley J, Steinicke S. (2010) Turning Away from CSDP: Franco-British Bilateralism in Security and Defence Policy. Berlin: Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, 2010. [Further details]
- Mawdsley J. (2008) European Union Armaments Policy: Options For Small States?. European Security, 17(2-3), 367-86.
- Mawdsley J. (2008) . L'industria europea degli armamenti nel contesto dell'integrazione europea: alcune contraddizioni. In: Bonaiuti C; Dameri D; Lodovisi A, ed. Industria militare e difesa europea: rischi e prospettive. Milan: Jaca Books, pp. 75-82.
- Altmann J, Anthony I, Biscop S, Brzoska M, Grazioso A, Greene O, Hagelin B, Mawdsley JL, Pullinger S, Quille G, Remacle E, Smith C, Stein JA, Valesek T, Zanders JP. (2006) EU Research and Innovation Policy and the Future of the European Common Foreign and Security Policy. Brussels: ISIS-Europe.
- Mawdsley J, Kempin R. (2005) France: Missile Defence à la française. Contemporary Security Policy, 26(3), 505-519.
- Mawdsley JL, Kempin R. (2005) France’s Silent Revolution on Missile Defence. Raketenabwehrforschung International Bulletin, (56), 1-11.
- Mawdsley J. (2004) Arms, Agencies and Accountability: The Case of OCCAR. European Security, 12(3-4), 95-111.
- Mawdsley JL, Martinelli M, Remacle E. (2004) (Eds.) Europe and the Global Armament Agenda: Security, Trade and Accountability. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlag.
- Mawdsley JL. (2004) The Arming of the European Union: Explaining the Armaments Dimension of European Security and Defence Policy. Perspectives: The Central European Review of International Affairs, 22, 7-21.