Institutional Data Management for Personalisation and Syndication
IDMAPS addresses the problems posed by the organic development of diverse computing systems in Higher Education institutions, leading to data flows which are inconsistent, badly documented and hard to maintain.
The project will produce an exemplar institutional data infrastructure, associated data access policies and defined data interfaces. This will be based on Newcastle University's Campus Management system, and permit accurate and timely data management.
The benefits will be evaluated through pilots utilising this data infrastructure and exploiting Web 2.0 technologies, which will deliver rich personalised content to users via a variety of platforms.
- Investigate the nature and fitness-for-purpose of existing solutions
- Determine institutional requirements
- Specify a flexible, adaptable information architecture of core user data
- Implement the data infrastructure and supporting systems
- Specify and deploy interfaces to enable data exchange across systems
- Demonstrate, document and disseminate project outputs
- Best practice models for undertaking institutional data audits
- Technology demonstrator of the institutional data model
- Fully documented exemplar service descriptions and policy framework
- Data management policies published as reusable templates
- Demonstrator of integrated systems using Web 2.0 technologies